Kevin Michaelan, CPA, MST
Kevin leads AAFCPAs’ Cannabis Practice, specializing in advising plant-touching businesses and investors on business and tax strategies to maximize stakeholder value throughout the business lifecycle. His cannabis experience includes buy-side due diligence and tax consulting for public multi-state operators (MSOs) and private equity funds on mergers & acquisitions with a deal value in excess of $4 billion and advising companies on industry-first tax strategies. Kevin advises clients nationally and is highly sought-after for his knowledge of trends impacting their business and investments, such as: uber-aggressive growth rates; rapidly changing regulations; cross-border restrictions; mergers & acquisitions; and canna-business premiums.
Kevin plans, coordinates, and executes the Cannabis Practice’s delivery of advisory, assurance, and tax solutions that address the overlap of industry-agnostic and cannabis-specific challenges and opportunities. Kevin’s 10+ years of diverse experience in public accounting allows him to provide a wholistic approach to business issues and deliver sophisticated tax advice.
Kevin advises growth-minded cannabis companies on:
- Entity formation and tax structuring
- Capital raising and financing transactions
- Business strategy and best practices
- Financial projections and modeling
- Financial and tax due diligence and M&A tax structuring plus post-deal integration
- University of Miami – Master of Science in Taxation
- University of Miami – Bachelor of Business Administration
- Cannabis Business Executive – Planning for 2020: Which catalysts will shape opportunities?
- CPATrendlines – Do’s and Dont’s for Cannabis CPAs
Professional and Civic Associations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Association for Corporate Growth
- National Business Institute Recreational Marijuana Business Law in Massachusetts
- Cannavest Boston
- Radio Entrepreneurs “In the Weeds”
- Boston Bar Association Cannabis Law Conference
- CREW-CT and the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA) presentation of Cannabis and the Effects on the Real Estate Industry in Connecticut and Massachusetts